When looking to save money I stumbled across many different DIY household cleaners. The first one that I tried out was homemade laundry detergent. Laundry is something that I feel we are doing constantly in our home. With a one year old that loves to make messes and a husband that works around grease filled foods all day laundry is a constant battle in our house. Don’t get me wrong I actually enjoy doing laundry, it has kind of a calming effect on me, but the one thing I absolutely hate to do is to put the laundry away.
I have tried a few different laundry detergent recipes from liquid to powder detergent. So far my favorite has been the liquid detergent. I feel I get more out of my money this way, because I am able to make the supply last longer with the liquid detergent. I have adapted a couple recipes to make my own and a few tricks along the way to help out the process and make it a bit easier. The following is the recipe that I am currently using with our laundry at home.
Kayla’s Liquid Detergent:
½ cup of Borax
½ cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/3 bar of Zote Soap Shredded (or 1/3 bar of Fels-Naptha)
2 Gallons of water
Pot to cook soap in
Storage container (I use a 3 gallon bucket with a lid)
- Shred your Zote Soap. I use a cheese grater from my kitchen, a food processor would work just as well.
- Put half a gallon of water into your pot and bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling put in the shredded Zote soap.
- Once your Zote soap is melted and your mixture is boiling again add your Borax and Super Washing Soda. Let this boil slowly for about 5 minutes and continue to stir.
- While boiling the soaps, pour 1.5 gallons of cold water into your storage container
- Once your soap is done boiling pour your soap into the container with the cold water.
- Your soap and water will start to combine. You are going to want to mix it together with a mixing spoon until well blended
- Let your soap sit for 30-45 minutes. When you come back to your soap it will more than likely be gelled together. You are going to want to mix it up again really well, and it is ready to use.
Once you have made your laundry detergent you will only need to use about half a cup of the detergent per load of laundry. The detergent will be a little thicker then you are used to with store bought detergent. If it is too thick for you next time you make the detergent use a little less of the Zote Soap in it.
I keep my soap in the 3 gallon bucket with a lid on it, my husband was able to get this for me from his work. You may use any kind of storage container that fits your family’s needs.
I have really enjoyed using and making this detergent. The only thing I have had to go out and buy is another bar of Zote Soap. Your box of Borax and Super Washing Soda will last you a long while, unless you are using them for other chores around the house.
This recipe I have adjusted from different ones I have found online. I have made about 4 batches of it so far and have shared with friends and family. This is also a great gift to give to anyone that is looking into ways to cut down money they are spending on household items.