Helping Mama Wash Diapers
Today is day 6 of the Flats and Handwashing challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry and it is another open topic day. I have decided to blog about how today has gone overall. Today is my first full day using flats since I work Monday through Friday, and haven’t had to deal with nap time diapers and early morning diapers.
When we got up this morning I knew that I needed to wash some diapers. My husband and I had date night last night and I did not get the chance to hand wash diapers yesterday. Miss R and I washed the diapers with no problem, I have been surprised how easy poopy diapers are to clean. I have not had a problem with hand washing so far in this challenge. I have probably now jinxed myself! After getting the diapers all washed I decided to dry them inside since there has been a threat of rain all day (still hasn’t rained) and I didn’t want to take the chance of them getting soaked.
The only problem I have had today was a horrible leaky diaper. I had a little more faith in the flat diaper she was wearing than I should have. She must of chugged some water or something because she pee’d so much it was like she wasn’t even wearing a diaper. I am super glad that it happened at home and not out and about. After she pee’d every were she did come up to me and say “potty”. If only she can learn to say it before she pees and not after, but it is okay I know she will potty train when she is ready, no need to rush it.
Today overall has been going well, I am very glad we decided to participate in this challenge and can’t wait to use flats after it as well!
How has the flats challenge been going for everyone else? Will you be using them after this challenge?
Today is day 5 of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge sponsored by Dirty Diaper Laundry. Today’s topic is all about what is and is not working for us so far in this challenge. I can tell you for certain that I will be using flats as a part of my regular diapering routine after participating in this challenge.
What’s working for us:
- Quick Drying time. Normally we use a dryer to dry our prefolds and inserts and they take a while to dry. Air drying the flats has been quick I can only wonder if they were tossed in the dryer how much quicker they would dry.
- Use of the potty. Our daughter (today especially) has started to realize that she is wet. Today she pee’d in her flat and after she did she said potty. Even though she didn’t say potty before she wet herself, she is starting to make connections.
- Going Coverless. This has shown both my mother (who watches our daughter a few times a week) and I that Miss R doesn’t wet herself as much as we think. We are able to pay closer attention to her schedule.
What is not going so well:
- Extra steps in changing flats. Our daughter doesn’t like to be still for very long, so once she is all snappi’d in a flat she thinks it is time to get up and she is all done. Trying to get her to lie down long enough to put a cover on can be tough.
- Trying Different Folds. I have tried to get different fold to work but they always seem too lose! I am in love with the Jo Fold it has been the easiest for me to prepare ahead of time as well. My husband likes the pad fold to just slip it in the covers since Miss R is such a busy bee!
- Folding ahead of time. The only time I can fold ahead of time is if my daughter is sleeping or distracted by something else. She loves to stand on the flats and spin in circles, or just pick them up off the floor and run off with them. She is such a fun little girl, but like any toddler it can be hard to keep up on the house because they are getting into everything!
If you are participating in the challenge what’s working for you?